Bill Manahan, MD and Kathryn Hayward, MD have known each other since 1987, and are co-creators of International Integrators and Living Whole Immersion Retreats. Kathryn regards Bill as one of the preeminent pioneers of the Integrative Medicine, Whole Health movement in the United States. Bill is Assistant Professor Emeritus with the Department of Family Medicine and Community Health at the University of Minnesota Medical School and is Past-President of the American Holistic Medical Association.
It’s astounding how little comes out about people taking a mind/body/spirit approach to the pandemic. Despite great strides being made in the past 3-4 decades toward a more Whole Health approach to living, especially among women, very little of that is being directed at the challenges that the pandemic has created. – Bill Manahan, MD
Here are some additional themes that Kathryn and Bill discuss in this conversation:
- When we develop a medical problem, we have the opportunity to ask: “What is my body/mind/spirit, in its wisdom, trying to tell me?”
- Meniere’s Disease causes sudden loss of hearing, vomiting and extreme dizziness. Bill’s experience with these symptoms lasted more than a year, causing him to miss work every 5 days. How does Conventional Medicine deal with Meniere’s Disease? How did Jamie Champion, an expert in energy work who is a Facilitator in Living Whole Online, read Bill’s energy and help cure Bill of the Meniere’s symptoms?
- How did a breakup with a romantic partner cause Bill’s middle finger to become inflamed? How did the deep listening and healing touch of a nurse colleague cure the symptoms?
- What is moral injury in the practice of medicine?
- What is kinesiology and how does it help us know about our possible responses to foods and other exposures?
- How are Traditional Chinese Medicine and Functional Medicine related?
- What is fast medicine?
We hope you enjoy the conversation between these two old friends and colleagues. We would welcome your insights and responses.
Kathryn Hayward, MD a conversation with Bill Manahan